Happy New Year!
We hope you all had a relaxing and joyful holiday season and have had a good start to the new year!
Even though it sometimes does not feel like it, there is great cause for optimism in 2023. Our Social Value International CEO Ben Carpenter has summarized some key points in a blogpost.
Ben starts by referencing a graph from Drift (2017), which shows that we are currently in a period of rapid innovation, collaboration, and developments that will accelerate our transition to a new normal.
Furthermore, he mentions that significant developments are taking place in terms of legislation and regulation.
- The EU have now given the green light to a new Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD).
- In the United States, the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) are progressing with climate related disclosures.
- At COP15 this month heads of states are discussing whether to make it mandatory for businesses to disclosing impacts on nature.
- The sustainability agenda is increasingly incorporated by major international standard setters for mainstream financial accounting, reporting and audit.
Rising inequality and global recession increases the need for civil society work and impact led initiatives. The Social Value movement will play a key role in this space with our framework for SROI, accountability and our stated purpose: to optimize positive impact on wellbeing.
Ben concludes that the Social Value movement is growing and evolving at just the right time. Our ideas are resonating and becoming more relevant than ever.
Your New Years’ resolution: Join the Practitioner Pathway!
Don’t have any resolutions for 2023? How about becoming more knowledgeable in the field of social value and impact management, and how to apply these concepts within every decision?
Social Value is about impact on people and the planet. Whether your organization is focused on maximizing impact, achieving social development goals, or addressing sustainability through ESG, now is the time to acquire the skills of social value thinking!
By joining the Professional Pathway, you will be showcasing your skills and expertise to potential clients, employers, or partners. You will also be joining an amazing community of experts who are shaping the standards and changing the way the world accounts for value.
Start out by joining a Practitioner Level 1 courses in 2023! Upcoming dates include:
Then, join a Level 2 course (online) to achieve accredited practitioner status! Upcoming dates include:
January 23-27 (10-1) & February 2 (10:30-11:30) Register Now
March 27-31 (10-1) & April 6 (10:30-11:30) Register Now
May 8-12 (10-1) & May 18 (10:30-11:30) Register Now
July 10-14 (10-1) & July 20 (10:30-11:30) Register Now
The Pathway is your route to embed social value and impact management thinking into daily work and practice. Become a practitioner. Change the way the world accounts for value in 2023!
For more information about the Social Value Practitioner Pathway, click here:
The IFRS, creator of ISSB, is hosting an inaugural Sustainability Symposium in February 2023. The event will bring together global businesses, investors and policymakers to discuss progress towards a global baseline of sustainability disclosures to inform investment decisions.
Discussion topics include:
- themes of feedback received on the exposure draft standards and progress towards publishing the final standards;
- the prospect for regulatory adoption of the IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards;
- the need for capacity building for both emerging economies and small and medium-sized companies;
- preparedness of investors and corporates to use and disclose with the standards; and
- integrated reporting best practices and use cases.
Expert panelists will discuss the use and uptake of IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards and SASB Standards by investors, businesses and regulators, as well as how the Integrated Reporting Framework can be used to enable effective corporate reporting and communication on these topics.
The Sustainability Symposium will be held on February 17, 2023 in Montreal and will be available virtually as well.
Social Value Canada Membership
Our Canadian network brings together a community of members interested in Social Value, Impact Management, and tools such as Social Return on Investment (SROI). Membership can be either individual or for a whole organization
Join Social Value Canada. Become part of an exciting global movement that seeks to change the way the world accounts for value. Be part of our international rising social value tide. Together we can lift all boats!
As an SVC member, you will be able to:
- Gain access to the Canadian and international network of SVC
- Be informed in the field’s newest developments
- Build your expertise in social value and become a knowledge hub within your industry
- Shape the agenda of the Canadian movement
- Raise your profile and awareness of your cause
Become a Social Value Canada Affiliate
SVC Affiliates are organizations that share our Canadian and global vision to address inequality and climate change, through decision-making that seeks to enhance the wellbeing for all.
There is no cost to affiliation, merely a mutual commitment to cross-post news, knowledge, and information about training and learning opportunities. SVC affiliates can offer their own members discounted access to SVC ‘happenings’.
As an affiliate you will also receive ongoing recognition as part of our national and international movement on the SVC website, in newsletters, and on social media. Contact Arnaud for more details.